Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,…
[excerpt from Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken”]
You know what is funny? The most frustrating circumstances can be when we are faced with two blessings that (seem to) contradict eachother. I know that when that happens I have a tendency to look up at God and go “really??” I mean come on - all good things should be easy, clear, and not frustrating at all right? Maybe not. Maybe I am not looking at this right…
I realize that, honestly, my pride is so great I want my blessings on my terms. God giving me something good that is not exactly how I want it is enough. I want it my way. And I am not the only one…
John 13:3-12 - Christ washes the Disciples' feet
'Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.'
I read in the notes of my Bible about this passage, one that has always perplexed me, and it explained the whole thing. Peter, who seems to be acting out of humility and love is actually acting out of pride. Jesus, who it had just been pointed out was in control of all things from God (ie everything), is acting in humility and love by giving this gift. And yet look at Peter - he denies the blessing that Jesus offers and tries to put it on his own terms: the first time seems humble enough, but the second time he asks for more than just the blessing Christ offered – the washing of his feet and his whole body. Again, humble enough looking until you think of it this way – Peter is trying to define the blessing he receives instead of understanding it and appreciating it. Only his feet need washing (from walking). Now I have to admit, this is not my own thought – I am not so insightful – but I found it to be a very interesting explanation.
It is not our place to redefine a blessing from God because we think it should be a different way. That is like being given a brand new Mercedes and saying you would have preferred it in red instead of blue.
Now look at our own lives. How often are we in that beautiful yellow wood, facing two equally pleasant choice, and then how often are we tempted to get upset because we can’t have both, or at least not in that moment?
I do it all the time.
It is Ash Wednesday, a time we are to be reminded of our sinful nature and of the trials Christ faced in preparing for his ministry. But I would posit that we should also be reminded of our pride, and how it even interferes with the blessings we receive because we simply don’t understand them… yet.
Instead – thanks be to God! Because to be faced with a choice, much less a choice between blessings, is a true blessing in itself. Just be careful not to misconstrue God’s love, His plan, and the expression of that in our lives, as anything but good.
No comments:
Post a Comment